Spot-On Safety: Glass Safety Manifestation Dots
Glass doors and windows are a staple in modern architectural designs, offering a sleek and contemporary look to buildings and interiors. However, their transparency can sometimes pose a safety risk, especially in busy environments where people might not notice them. This is where safety manifestation dots come into play.
What Are Safety Manifestation Dots?
Safety manifestation dots are designs or patterns applied to glass windows, doors, and partitions to make them more noticeable. They serve a dual purpose: enhancing the aesthetic appeal of the glass and ensuring safety by making the glass visible to those walking by.
The Etched Effect: A Subtle Safety Solution
One of the popular designs for glass manifestations is the Etched Effect. These are safety stickers that are:
- 50mm in diameter with a choice of 50mm or 100mm spacing.
- Self-adhesive, making them easy to install without the need for any special tools.
- Low maintenance, requiring no special care once applied.
- Unobtrusive and unpretentious, blending seamlessly with the glass.
These stickers offer a neat solution that can be uniformly applied across all departments and buildings of an organization, ensuring consistency in design and safety.
Product Codes and Descriptions
- SD1: 50mm DOTS with 50mm SPACES (100mm CENTRES)
- SD2: 50mm DOTS with 100mm SPACES (150mm CENTRES)
- SD3: 50mm SQUARES with 50mm SPACES (100mm CENTRES)
- SD4: 50mm SQUARES with 100mm SPACES (150mm CENTRES)
Specifications for Installation
When installing the glazing manifestations, it’s essential to adhere to the following specifications:
- The manifestations should be 50mm DOTS (or SQUARES) with either 50mm or 100mm spacing.
- The higher band should be placed at a height between 1400 to 1600mm from the floor.
- The lower band should be positioned between 850 to 1000mm from the floor.
Regulations and Compliance
It’s crucial to ensure that the glass manifestations comply with the relevant building and safety regulations:
- Building Regulations: Refer to the Approved Document M section 2.24 for provisions that apply.
- HSE Workplace Regulations: Adherence to the Health, Safety, and Welfare Regulations 1992 – Regulation 14 is mandatory.
Why are Glass Manifestations Important?
In early 2018, a report emerged about employees at Apple injuring themselves by walking into glass walls. While it might sound absurd, it highlighted the importance of safety markings on glass. For any large glass installation in a public place, there’s a legal requirement to ensure the glazing is marked sufficiently to prevent accidents. These markings, known as ‘manifestations’, are vital for anyone involved in facilities management, building design, or environmental branding.
Understanding Critical Locations
Manifestations aren’t required on every glass surface. They are primarily to ensure people don’t walk into or through glazing. Specific ‘critical locations’ require safety markings. These are typically glazing installations that are tall, large, wide, or could pose a risk if not clearly demarcated with window film.
While there are specific requirements for the size and positioning of manifestations, there’s flexibility in their design. Building Regulations specify that they should contrast visually with the background in all lighting conditions. They can take the form of a logo, sign, or decorative feature. This flexibility allows for branding opportunities, enhancing the aesthetic appeal of spaces.
Benefits of Printed Glass Manifestations
With advances in technology, it’s possible to produce glass manifestations with almost any design. They can:
- Enhance Privacy: Ideal for open-plan offices or meeting rooms.
- Act as a Brand Endorsement: Use company logos or motifs aligned with brand guidelines.
- Motivate the Workforce: A well-designed workspace can boost employee performance.
Glass manifestations are not just decorative elements; they play a crucial role in ensuring safety in buildings and organizations. Whether you’re an architect, a business owner, or a facility manager, it’s essential to consider these manifestations as part of your building’s safety measures.
Get in touch with one of our window film experts and get a free quote today!
More Customisation Options for Glass Graphics & Manifestations.